My big learning opportunity

I am sitting in my gloriously sunny lounge and I can definitely feel Spring getting closer - 1 more week!

I am also about 5 seconds away from smacking myself in the head for being an idiot and not thinking things through...

I have been working on a design that I found down the side of the Lazy Boy (yes, in the ever-growing WIP pile) and I was pottering away on it last night while having a case of FOMO for not being at Knit August Nights. I also may have been watching tv and not concentrating particularly hard.

Anywho, I typed up what I had written so far on the pattern and stopped in dread when I realised my stitch count was out by 12 stitches. I went back through the pattern, looked at each individual row, and everything still looked fine. The pattern was mesh-y and gorgeous as intended.

After puzzling about it all night I was no closer to deciphering what I had done this morning, so I resolved to myself, "If you haven't figured it out by 2pm you are ripping it out to the last confirmed stitch count".

So I did.

I ripped out several weeks worth of work (I am quite a slow knitter) and ever-so-carefully/painfully got every stitch back on the needles. "Phew" I thought "At least you can be confident in whatever you do now".

Then I looked at the pattern. And realised that last night I failed to add in the stitches for the second lot of garter rows when I typed it up. The garter rows, of course, are my 12 mystery stitches.

GAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

So I am writing this while trying to not beat myself up too much, while holding on to some bits of logic.

1. Sometimes you can't see what is in front of you
2. Hindsight is a bitter pill to swallow
3. I can be smug when it is done as it will be bloody perfect!!
4. Don't leave projects in your WIP pile for so long and THEN type them up - do it as you go



So the kettle is boiling for a chamomile and peppermint tea (I think I deserve it!) and then I will go back to knitting, knowing that when the Seafoam Shawl is completed I will be ecstatic.

Until then,
A x

P.S. After my last blog post I decided I am definitely staying Little Yarns, but a new logo is needed - stay tuned!


Comments

Popular Posts