The End of the Decade

With only a few days left of this decade I am doing what many people do and am reflecting about 2019 and what 2020 may bring. After re-reading my last blog post I found the tone to be a mix of mopey and wistful and have been considering what thoughts were going with the emotions I had when writing. (How mindful am I after finishing my Mindful Mood Cowl?!)

Picture of my lovely Mindful Mood Cowl and the yummy biscuits Isabel and I made for Santa.



I realised that I felt that I had not accomplished what I wanted to design-wise in 2019 and that I had too many projects on the go. This is often my default setting...but WHY do I feel that way and then resort to casting on another project? I always have so many ideas - I have a notebook filled with them - and so whenever I am working on a new design idea I am often impatient to start the next one; and quite often do. Then there is the fact that it takes longer to knit a pattern that is self-designed than it is to make something from an existing pattern (for me anyway). My design process can often include ripping back rows to make the project look like what I had imagined, numerous breaks to scribble notes down, and then math/grading for different sizes. When knitting from an existing pattern by another designer I pick my size, go stash-diving, and I am away!

So with all of that in mind I am going to do things differently for 2020. I often have goals about the number of patterns I want to design and release, but have decided to take a step back from design work and instead make projects by other designers. And do test, I love test knitting!! And I never do as many test knits as I would like since I am so busy knitting my own designs.

So to sum up: 2020 will be the year of the test knit/make my dream projects because I WANT to!

I have already signed on for a beanie test knit for Wool Enthusiast starting in January and I can't wait! I'm not saying I won't be designing in 2020 as I definitely will be, but it is more to take the pressure off and make knitting fun and relaxing, rather than time pressured and an activity where my inner voice beats me up for not being good enough/productive enough.

Now to enjoy the rest of 2019 and look forward to a relaxed and happy 2020.

A x

Comments

Popular Posts