Pokemon Go or Pokemon No

So the Pokemon craze has well and truly started and my little corner of the world is no exception! There is something disconcerting seeing people following their phones without looking up - living through an augmented reality while catching cartoon characters......and yet I love it! While the idea of being glued to a phone is not ideal, my version of Pokemon Go involves me spending time with my partner, exploring our neighborhood and getting some exercise while trying to hatch those eggs!

Only his phone is fancy enough to have the app (yes, mine is very outdated technology!) and we take it in turns to battle gyms, catch pokemon, and evolve the wee critters into bigger ones. This is one of our (very few) overlapping interests and so I am thankful that it is there, and that we have spent so much time together enjoying the game and exercising, while reminiscing how much we enjoyed the cartoon when we were children.



Therein lies the clue to how I have become hooked on this new fad. My childhood. A time of Sylvanians, Pokemon, Star Wars, and Harry Potter. My original "first loves" that captured my imagination and that I still love today. My brief search on Ravelry uncovered thousands of patterns related to "fandoms", showing me that the love of these worlds links strongly with crafting.

My own love for everything H.P. led me to joining a fabulous Ravelry group The Harry Potter Knit and Crochet Cup (HPKCC). The productivity and accountability to actually finishing my projects went through the roof after I joined and I have never looked back. The other unexpected bonus was finding a world of crafting friends who are incredibly supportive of one another.

So whether Pokemon Go is for you or not, do you have a fandom that you love? That subculture or community that you identify with? I would love to hear what yours is, and especially what it means to you. Why does it draw you to it and keep you there?

A x

Comments

Popular Posts